Iran said the missile-and-drone attack on major Saudi oil sites earlier this month was an act of “legitimate defence” by Yemen’s Iran-allied Houthi rebels.
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said it is implausible that attacks on Saudi Arabian oil facilities were launched by Yemen’s Houthi movement.
Iran’s supreme leader has announced “there will be no talks with the US at any level” in remarks which appeared to end all speculation about a possible meeting between the two countries’ presidents at the UN later this month.
Saudi Arabia has said its initial inquiries indicate that Iranian weapons were used in attacks on key oil installations, and it will invite UN and other international experts to take part in the investigation.
The price of oil soared in early trading on Monday following the drone attach on Saudi Arabia’s Aramco facility over the weekend, with single day jumps not seen since Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in the 1990s.
US President Donald Trump has said that his country is “locked and loaded” to respond after a drone attack on Saudi Arabia that cut into global energy supplies and halved the kingdom’s oil production.
Drones launched by Yemen’s Houthi rebels have attacked the world’s largest oil processing facility in Saudi Arabia and another major oilfield, sparking huge fires.
At least 100 people have been killed and dozens more wounded in Yemen after air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition hit a detention centre run by the Houthi rebels, officials and the rebels’ health ministry said.