Late goal denies Peterhead chance to wrap up Scottish League Two title

Syndicate Post image
Former Motherwell midfielder Jack Leitch was on target for Peterhead (Jeff Holmes/PA)

Peterhead will have to wait another week before being confirmed Ladbrokes League Two champions as Peter MacDonald’s late goal earned Stirling a point following a 1-1 draw in the penultimate round of fixtures.

Jack Leitch netted for the third successive match as he tapped Rory McAllister’s cross into the bottom corner eight minutes before the break.

Peterhead extended their unbeaten streak to six league matches but MacDonald levelled at the death to clinch a point.

The draw meant Peterhead’s lead at the top of the table was reduced to two points by closest challengers Clyde, who still have a chance next Saturday after easing to a 3-0 victory at home to Queen’s Park.

David Goodwillie tapped Ally Love’s ball home from close range just after the half-hour mark for his 16th league effort this campaign and Love turned scorer as he notched their second after 74 minutes before Ray Grant completed the rout with 11 minutes remaining.

Berwick Rangers had their relegation play-off place confirmed after falling to a 3-0 defeat to relegation rivals Albion Rovers at Shielfield Park.

Gregor Fotheringham headed the visitors in front after 24 minutes and former Berwick defender Gary Phillips’ penalty on the stroke of half-time doubled their lead but Fotheringham completed his brace five minutes after the break as Albion sealed their safety.

Aidan Smith scored in each half as play-off contenders Annan Athletic held on to edge a 3-2 victory over Cowdenbeath.

Smith picked out the bottom corner for an early opener with his 10th league goal this term and Christian Nade doubled their lead midway through the first half before Smith’s close-range second after 70 minutes.

Jordan Allan began to mount a Cowdenbeath comeback a minute later and he completed his own brace after 77 minutes but Annan held on for maximum points.

Elsewhere Elgin fought back for a 1-1 draw at play-off contenders Edinburgh as Josh Walker’s opener was cancelled out by Owen Loveland’s late equaliser.