Former champion Wozniacki returns to Eastbourne

Syndicate Post image

World number one Caroline Wozniacki has signed up for this summer’s Eastbourne International.

The Australian Open champion won the Wimbledon warm-up event, which runs from June 22-30, nine years ago at the age of 18.

Wozniacki, the beaten finalist last summer, said: “I’ve had an exciting start to the year so far, and I’m looking forward to seeing where that takes me in the first half of the season, and during the British summer of tennis.

“The Eastbourne fans have always given me a very warm welcome to Devonshire Park and I’ve had some memorable results there over the years, particularly winning the title in 2009.”

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova will defend her title at the Birmingham Classic the week before. It was the first title the popular Czech won following the shocking stabbing that nearly ended her career.

Kvitova said: “That week in Birmingham was so special for me and I’m very excited to come back. I got amazing support. I always love playing on grass and in the UK.”

The pair will join British number one Johanna Konta, who has already committed to playing in all three grass-court events in Nottingham, Birmingham and Eastbourne.

Breaking

    Cancel