A Minnesota prosecutor has said he will not charge two police officers over the fatal shooting of a black man last month.
Hennepin County attorney Mike Freeman said 31-year-old Thurman Blevins fled from officers with a loaded handgun and refused to follow commands to stop and show his hands.
Mr Freeman said Mr Blevins turned toward the officers with the gun in his hand before he was shot on June 23.
The prosecutor said there is no basis for criminal charges against the officers. He said Mr Blevins was a danger to them and to the community.
The officers were responding to a 911 call of a man firing a gun into the air and into the ground on the city’s north side.
Mr Freeman made his announcement via news release after he was shouted down by community members at a news conference.