Red Dwarf star Danny John-Jules has been unveiled as one of this year’s Strictly Come Dancing contestants.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the 57-year-old actor.
– John-Jules is a keen motorcyclist and takes part in many charity rides. In 2014 he travelled 1,250 miles from the UK to Valencia in Spain to raise awareness of an organisation that uses bikes to deliver healthcare supplies to people in Africa.
– Before finding fame with shows such as Red Dwarf and Death In Paradise, he appeared on the West End stage in productions including Starlight Express.
– The actor is to said to have landed the part of Cat in Red Dwarf because he was late to his audition. He was not ruffled as he was not aware he was late, which made the producers think he was cool enough to play the character.
– He appeared as a dancer in 1981 film The Great Muppet Caper.
– John-Jules is married and has two children named Dante and Danae, who have both acted alongside him.
– He can also turn his hand to singing and had a number 17 hit with Tongue Tied in 1993.
– The star voiced the character Gex in the UK version of the computer game Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko.
– John-Jules appeared as a dancer in the Wham! video for The Edge Of Heaven, released in 1986.
– In 2008 he was ordered to carry out 120 hours of community service for assaulting two refuse collectors in London.
– Possibly inspired by his most famous character, the actor loves cats and has volunteered at an animal home.