Aberdeen Lynx secure best league finish after Dundee Comets turn in fine fightback

Iain Malcolm and Mark Laing celebrate. Picture by Ferguson Photography.
Iain Malcolm and Mark Laing celebrate. Picture by Ferguson Photography.

Aberdeen Lynx secured their best ever league finish with a 5-4 win in Dundee.

The result came despite a late revival from the Comets – pulling three goals back in the final period.

The Lynx went into the game knowing a win was vital to secure second place in the Scottish National League.

A strong start saw the Aberdeen outfit continue where they left off against Edinburgh the previous weekend.

However, it was the Comets who had the best chance of the opening 10 minutes, breaking free to force a one-on-one with Craig Chalmers – but the Lynx net minder was more than equal to the effort.

The Lynx’s confident passing and pushing forward paid dividends in the 16th minute with Aaron THOMSON finding himself in space to tap home a pass from Mark Laing. And THOMSON was on hand three minutes later to double the lead for the Lynx.

Aaron Thomson on the attack. Picture by Kenneth Malcolm Photography

A shot from Ross McIntosh took a couple of deflections before Thomson was able to direct it past Comets net minder Michie.

It took just 90 seconds of ice time in the second period for the Lynx to extend their lead to 3-0 with Jordan LEYDEN forcing the puck into the back of the net following a goalmouth scramble.

Craig Chalmers makes a stunning save. Picture by Ferguson Photography.

But a frustrated Comets side regrouped and pushed forward on the attack with only a series of incredible saves and last-minute line clearances stopping the home side getting on the scoreboard.

The start of the third period saw a fired-up Comets side grabbing three goals in quick succession to pull level in just seven minutes

But a tactical reset by the Lynx saw them regain control of the game.

The Lynx regained the lead with Iain MALCOLM completing a stunning team goal, combining with Laing and Leyden to make the most of a two-minute Dundee penalty.

Iain Malcolm scores his first of the night. Picture by Ferguson Photography.

And MALCOLM was on target again just two minutes later to extend the lead to 5-3.

The Comets still had some fire left, grabbing a fourth goal to cut the deficit with just under two minutes remaining – but their fightback was just too little, too late.

Lynx coach Barry Carnegie was quick to praise both his net minder and the 200-plus travelling support.

He said: “First period was really good, to be fair – I thought we carried over a lot of good things from Edinburgh last week.

“Second period we got dragged down, we rode our luck a bit with penalties and some great saves from Craig in goal.

“The start of the third period we had a spell of five or seven minutes where we basically stopped skating, and trying at the level we’ve been at, we got what we deserved from that.

“It was a case of resetting and going back to what was working.

Picture by Ferguson Photography.
The players congratulate man of the match Craig Chalmers Picture by Ferguson Photography.

“We had to be a bit smarter with our line changes, making sure the right people were on the ice at the right time against their top players.

“We went back to doing that and it paid dividends, winning the game and claiming second place.

“I thanked the fans personally after the game.

“They’ve been great all season – they are there to spur us on and that’s what they do

“Craig’s been the rock we depend on. We put a lot of faith in him and he proves it week in, week out.

“Some of those saves in the second period proved why he’s the best goalie in the league.”