Ice hockey: Lynx gust too good for Typhoons as they put six past Moray men

Ross McIntosh. Picture by Kenneth Malcolm Photography.

A confident performance from the Aberdeen Lynx saw them blow away Moray Typhoons 6-2.

It was only an on-form Elgin netminder who stopped the Lynx running riot over the Typhoons.

Coach Owen Reynolds was pleased with his side’s ability to dictate the tempo and finish the game off with a period to spare. He said: “We were more cautious in the first period and keen to control the game and gauge what we were up against.

“In the second we moved up through the gears and started dictating the tempo, confident that we’d start finding the back of the net.

“Going into the third 5-0 up we switched off a little and found ourselves dropping to their standard and allowing them to get under our skin.

“Essentially we had done enough in the second period and, despite Moray’s attempts to come back in the third, when Ross McIntosh took our tally to 6-2 it killed the game off.”

For large portions of the game, the Aberdeen-side appeared untouchable – even when a man down.

A man-of-the-match worthy performance from Elgin’s Craig Johnstone saw him put his body on the line to keep the Lynx at bay throughout the first period.

But the class of the home side shone through in the second period with a quick break five minutes into the period putting the Lynx 1-0 up.

Great work from Calum MacEachran and Jordan Leyden provided the perfect set up for Jonathan HOGAN to score from a tight angle.

Just two minutes later the Lynx doubled their lead, with a Hogan’s expertly judged pass leaving Elgin’s netminder out of position, with LEYDEN on hand to tap home.

And Leyden was involved in the Lynx’s third of the night, setting up Mark LAING to make it 3-0, before an incredible shot straight into the top right of the net from captain Christian JOHNSON made it 4-0.

Despite an incredible performance, Elgin’s netminder Johnstone was carried off the ice with less than two minutes remaining of the second period with what looked to be a hip injury.

His replacement Michael McPherson was barely given time to stretch before the Lynx made it 5-0 after Sean Dyer and Aaron Thomson worked to set up Jamie VINCENT.

A mistake in the third period allowed Elgin to claw one back, with Michael FERGUSON taking full advantage of an out-of-line Lynx defence to fire past Lynx netminder Mathieu Davidge.

Just two minutes later a loose puck from Basil HARRISON appeared to take a knock off a Lynx defenceman before ending up in the back of the net and taking the score to 5-2.

But, determined to end on a high, Ross McINTOSH’S perfectly struck shot stunned netminder McPherson to give the Lynx the 6-2 win.

Edinburgh Capitals set themselves up well for next weekend’s game against the Lynx with a 22-0 demolition of Kilmarnock Thunder. Kirkcaldy Kestrels beat Dundee Tigers 4-1 to draw level on points with the Lynx at the top of the league, but with a game in hand.

Kilmarnock Storm beat North Ayrshire Wild 4-0 and Dundee Comets hammered bottom-of-the-league Solway 12-3