Juveniles: Cove through to Scottish Youth Cup final with win over Celtic BC​

© Cove Youth BC
Cove U13s applaud their supporters.

Cove Youth FC 13s created history by becoming the first team from the club to reach a Scottish Cup final when they beat The Celtic Boys Club 3-1 in an entertaining semi-final at Spain Park.

The sun did come out in time for kick-off, but there was a bitingly cold wind for the players to contend with. The opening ten minutes had both teams cautiously trying for an opening and, as was to be expected in a national semi-final, both sets of players were nervous.

The game burst into life in a two-minute spell. First Anton Chauvin fired Cove in front on the 13-minute mark.

Two minutes later Kasen Seed doubled Cove’s lead and this was met by loud cheers from the large home support.

These cheers warmed the home crowd and soon they had more to cheer when Ramsay Davidson added a third for the rampant Cove team.

Celtic had no answer to the Aberdeen side’s probing attacks and Cove took a well-deserved three-goal lead into the halftime break.

In the second half, Celtic stemmed the flow of Cove attacks, but they had difficulty in penetr-ating a well-organised Cove defence and, when they did, the ever-alert Lloyd Sharp in the Cove goal was more than equal to the task.

Cove’s defence was eventually breached, but with little more than five minutes left it was just a consolation for a gallant Celtic side. The Granite City boys were able to see out the game with a convincing 3-1 result.

Cove will now meet either Grassroots Dev Coaching, from the Central Region, or Hutchison Vale, from Edinburgh, at Airdirie’s Excelsior Stadium on the weekend of May 19-20.

Cove’s semi-final almost didn’t happen. With a covering of overnight snow on Sunday morning, the game was in doubt until Brian Winton of Banks o’ Dee juniors swept the lines clear at 7am and arranged to put salt on the 3G artificial surface so that the game could go on.

The benefit of the artificial pitch saw Banks o’ Dee Albion 14s play at 10.30am prior to the final.

Brian’s efforts were rewarded when his 14s team ran out comfortable 5-1 winners over Dyce BC.

This was in comparison to the Westdyke 14s semi-final, due to be held on the same day as Cove’s big moment.

It was called off on Saturday immediately after Craigroyston juniors had played on the grass park.

The pitch had been cut up so badly the semi-final was called off a full 24 hours before it was due to kick-off.

This game against Spartans Youth will now be re-scheduled for either April 15 or 22.