Aberdeen Lynx player banned for 15 games after on-ice incident left rival with broken nose and concussion

An Aberdeen Lynx player has been banned for 15 games after an incident on the ice left a rival player with a broken nose and concussion.

The altercation involving forward Ross McIntosh and Typhoon’s import Maris Saultis happened in during the third period of last weekend’s Scottish Cup clash.

Shortly before the Moray player had been involved in an altercation with Lynx’s Jack Durkacz

As the players were heading towards the penalty box, the incident esclated with McIntosh throwing several punches “to the face and neck area” of Saultis.

A statement released by Scottish Ice Hockey said: “He (Ross McIntosh) made significant contact before the Moray player fell to the ice in a turtle position to protect himself.

“McIntosh continued to throw punches before the linesmen could adequately restrain him.

“At no time during the incident was Saultis in a position to defend himself.”

The Typhoons player was taken to hospital after the game where it was discovered he had suffered a broken nose and a concussion.

McIntosh received a penalty for roughing during the game, which was upgraded to a match penalty for “deliberate attempt to injure”, which comes with an automatic six-game ban.

In addition Scottish Ice Hockey have banned the player for a further nine games.

Scottish Ice Hockey added: “We wish to make it clear that under no circumstances will it tolerate this type of behaviour – either on or off the ice.”

Elsewhere in the league Scottish Ice Hockey have handed out a eight-game ban to Kirkcaldy Kestrel’s director of player development David Smith for alleged abuse of an official at the end of their game with Edinburgh Capitals on January 14.

In a statement on the Kestrel’s social media pages they said: “The Scottish Ice Hockey disciplinary panel has issued a suspension for an incident which occurred during our match with Edinburgh Capitals.

“At the end of the game, Kestrels director of player development David Smith was involved in a discussion with the referees and has now received a suspension for alleged abuse of an official.

“Smith received no match penalty on the evening, but after a discussion at the SIHA they have come to the decision to ban Smith for eight games, five of which are suspended.

“Kirkcaldy Kestrels are disappointed with the decision and will make no further comment at this time.”