Evening Express

Sheran thrilled after Cove Rangers’ Betfred Cup win over League One Rovers

Cove's Jamie Masson scoring to make it 2-0 Picture by Darrell Benns

Cove Rangers manager John Sheran was thrilled after they finished the League Cup group stage with a win.

The Highland League champions beat League One Raith Rovers 2-0 at the Balmoral Stadium.

Daniel Park and Jamie Masson got the goals for the Aberdeen team with the result meaning they avoided finishing bottom of Group C, as the three points moved them above the Kirkcaldy side.

Sheran said: “It was a really good team performance and we’re happy to get the clean sheet.

“The first goal was a really good move and we had two or three like it.

“We played some lovely football and it was the same in the second half.

“Prior to the second goal we had made a good few chances to get the second.

“I think it was good from the point of view that it gets us going for starting our Highland League season next week.

“That was our first win in a competitive game so it was important to get that.

“It was another game on the artificial surface, which helps the boys get used to it.

“I’m really pleased overall with the performance.

“The target for us was to not finish bottom and we haven’t finished bottom and we’ve managed to do what we said we were going to do.”

Cove handed new signing Jordan MacRae his debut as a second half sub.

Sheran feels the game was good preparation ahead of starting their Highland League campaign against Fraserburgh on Saturday.

He added: “We needed game time and I think Raith are closer to the standard we’re used to in terms of not playing Premiership opposition.

“The Highland League will present a completely different challenge.

“But the fitness of the guys is good and we’re looking sharp ahead of it.”

Cove’s first came on nine minutes with Park netting the rebound after Robbie Thomson saved Mitch Megginson’s shot.

The Granite City team dominated and got their second on 76 minutes after an error by young goalie Sam McGuff, who had replaced Thomson 18 minutes earlier.

He let the ball slip through his grasp, leaving Masson with an easy finish.

Raith’s misery was complete late on when Liam Buchannan hit the post with a penalty.