Evening Express

McInally happy enough as Peterhead’s League Cup campaign ends in loss to Dundee

Peterhead's Rory McAllister in action against Dundee

Peterhead manager Jim McInally was reasonably happy with his side’s overall performance against Premiership Dundee last night.

A 49th-minute goal from the Dees’ Kharl Madianga and a late Jean Mendy strike gave the visitors victory against the Blue Toon in last night’s Betfred Cup tie at Balmoor Stadium.

McInally said: “It was disappointing to lose the late goal as the two young centre halves had done really well, so to lose that goal was a wee bit harsh.

“In general, I think it was about 75 minutes before Greg Fleming had to make his first save. We did well and we were well organised.

“We defended well but offensively we could have done better and that is a part of the game we are still working on.

“We still need to get guys like Derek Lyle and Rory McAllister, who has an ankle knock, up to speed.

“We are getting there but defensively it was a really good performance against a very good Dundee side.

“We looked out on our feet against Stirling Albion on Saturday but tonight we looked fresher and we now have 10 days until we start the league campaign with a home game against Queen’s Park.”

The result saw Peterhead finish bottom of their section with just the two points they collected from the goalless draw and bonus point at Brechin City’s Glebe Park.

They were without suspended midfielder, dead-ball expert Willie Gibson. Dundee, who were more or less at full strength, were also looking to make amends for Sunday’s 1-0 home cup defeat at the hands of Dunfermline Athletic.

In the seventh minute only a timely tackle by Peterhead’s Jack Leith on Mendy, just as the striker was about to pull the trigger on the edge of the box, averted the danger.

At the other end Dundee keeper Elliot Parish did well to divert a close-range Russell McLean effort round the post for a fruitless corner kick.

The visitors continued to press, Sofien Moussa managed to get in a back-post header but he was falling backwards when making contact and Fleming in the Peterhead goal gathered the ball with ease.

In the 34th minute Ross Kavanagh had a chance to score the Blue Toon’s first goal of the competition but he shot straight at Parish from just inside the box.

Then a strong run by Kavanagh, after he had been fed by Rory McAllister, caused a moment of panic in the visitors defence until giant central defender Steven Caulker booted the ball to safety.

Mendy shot wide in the first minute of the second half but the opener for the visitors was only delayed by three minutes when Paul McGowan played in Madianga, who gave Fleming no chance with a rasping 15-yard shot.

And, ten minutes from time, Peterhead assistant manager Davie Nicholls was sent to the stand, apparently for remarks made to the stand-side assistant referee.

Two minutes into injury time, Mendy made it 2-0 with a simple finish.