Cove make history as win over Formartine puts them in Scottish Cup fifth round for first time

Cove's Ryan Stott, left, celebrates his goal with Jamie Masson.

Cove Rangers boss John Sheran was delighted after his side reached the fifth round of the Scottish Cup for the first time.

Goals from Ryan Stott and Mitch Megginson saw off Highland League rivals Formartine United 2-0 at North Lodge Park in the fourth round.

The victory sets up a home tie with Championship side Falkirk in round five.

Bairns boss Paul Hartley was among the crowd of 776, scouting his fifth round opponents.

Sheran felt it wasn’t the best performance from his side, but was pleased to have made Cove history.

He said: “One of the things that we said to the guys before the game was that we need to try to make history and we’ve done that now.

“We’ve played better than that, I thought the game was bit flat from both teams.

“I think there was too much hype and I think with big games in the Scottish Cup you can get a lot of hype and then the game falls flat.

“There was definitely a bit of edge to the game about nobody wanting to make a mistake.

“We spoke to the players about it at half-time – I wouldn’t say it got any better in the second half.

“But we keep working and we kept trying to make it happen and they were two tremendous strikes that won the game.

“When you don’t play well you just have to grind – and that’s what we did.

“When you’ve got experienced players in your team they know how to just hang in there, get a body in front of something and you need that in your game.

“Sometimes you need to win ugly and that’s what it was.”

United player-manager Paul Lawson started himself in the match and had no complaints with the outcome.

He said: “I think we let ourselves down as a squad and Craig McKeown was the only one in my view who can get pass marks.

“He led by example, but unfortunately the rest of us around him weren’t good enough.

“It’s disappointing, but we can’t have complaints with the result.”

After a scrappy opening half hour where chances were at a premium, STOTT fired Cove ahead on 32 minutes.

He collected a pass from Megginson on the left of the box and lashed a left-footed effort past goalie Ewen Macdonald with the aid of a deflection.

Six minutes later Jonny Crawford forced Stuart McKenzie into a good diving save with a 25-yard drive.

Lawson was then fortunate not to be sent off after appearing to deny a clear goalscoring opportunity when he fouled Megginson on the edge of the box – but ref Gavin Duncan opted for a yellow card.

Crawford headed Archie Macphee’s corner from the right against the post from close range just before the hour.

But Cove secured victory on 68 minutes when MEGGINSON drove into the box past Craig McKeown and rifled the ball home from 15 yards.