Four-goal hero Watt delighted as Banks o’ Dee reach Aberdeenshire Shield final

Dee's Jamie Watt scores his second goal.

Four-goal hero Jamie Watt was delighted to help Banks o’ Dee reach the Aberdeenshire Shield final.

Watt grabbed four of the seven goals as the Aberdeen side beat Deveronvale 7-0 at Spain Park. They will now play Cove Rangers or Turriff United.

Watt, 39, is thrilled to be in the final after missing out on last year’s Shield showpiece – a 5-2 loss to Inverurie Locos – due to suspension.

He said: “It’s great to get back there it was a big disappointment to miss out last year. There were a few of us missed out so it would be nice for us to go and get some revenge for last year.

“I scored four goals – so I couldn’t have asked for more than that. When the draw came in I saw we were playing Inverurie in the quarter-finals, Deveronvale in the semi and possibly Cove in the final.

Jamie Watt.

“It almost seemed like a bit of destiny – my three old teams that I played for in a row and it’s working out, although Cove still have to play Turriff.”

Dee co-manager Tommy Forbes added: “We know at Spain Park we will cause teams problems from middle to front but I didn’t see seven goals against Vale.

“We were clincal and you know what you will get with Jamie Watt and his movement.It’s a great result and hopefully we can take confidence from that into the final.”

In the ninth minute an utterly bizarre decision from referee Chris Fordyce helped Dee take the lead.

Watt and Steven Davidson chased a ball together into the box, there didn’t look to be any real contact between the pair and Davidson put the ball behind for a corner, but ref Fordyce pointed to the penalty spot.

Vale were irate and assistant manager Mark Chisholm was sent off for his protests and he had to walk across the pitch to get from the dug-out to the stand. After the drama WATT confidently slotted away the spot-kick.

On the quarter hour Robert Scott hit the bar from 12 yards.

But seconds later WATT slotted home first time from 15 yards to make it 2-0.

Two minutes into the second period Davidson tripped Michael Philipson in the box and WATT scored the penalty for his hat-trick.

The striker had a fourth on 55 minutes when he finished from 10 yards.

Ryan HALL’S eight-yard volley made it five on the hour and eight minutes later he burst through and netted another and with 11 minutes left sub Michael Taylor’s volley made it a magnificent seven for the Junior side.

Vale boss Steve Dolan said: “I’m not going to destroy them (the players) but I think they let themselves down. I actually apologised to fans who came to watch that. It was like we had never played before, everything we did was against what we have done all season.”