Turriff boss Jack praises walking wounded after dumping Broch out of Aberdeenshire Shield

Turriff manager Ross Jack.

Turriff United manager Ross Jack praised his players for playing through the pain to beat Fraserburgh in the Aberdeenshire Shield second round.

Turra beat the Broch 3-0 to book a semi-final spot.

A second-half strike from Adam Cross and David Ross’ double won it at the Haughs. Turra had a crippling injury list, but boss Jack praised a number of his key players for performing with injuries to deliver a fine win.

He said: “It’s a Fraserburgh team that are flying high so it’s a great result.

“We had a huge injury list coming into the game.

“But when captain Cammy Bowden, Kevin Flett, Russell McBride and Darren Wood play through the pain barrier and declare themselves fit when they had all been ruled out. That is what you need.

“They are all quality leaders and they stepped up very well.

“It was a very late decision to pick my team but they had the adrenaline pumping and said they could play so I had to put them in and they were superb.

“It was another clean sheet and a great performance.

“In the second half, we came into our own and I’m delighted for Adam Cross, who was voted man-of-the-match and scored, it was a great performance and a great goal.

“I’m pleased for David Ross to contribute with another two and we were worthy winners in the end, I felt.”

Fraserburgh boss Mark Cowie, pictured, said: “It’s disappointing because we wanted to do well in that cup and we’ve fallen at the first hurdle. Take nothing away from Turriff, I think over the piece they probably deserved it.

“We had more of the ball but didn’t do anything with it, they defended better and took their chances.”

In the first round, Formartine United beat Huntly 6-2 at Christie Park. Andrew Greig got his first goal for the Pitmedden team before Michael Ewen and Michael Clark fired the Black and Golds in front.

Wayne Mackintosh levelled before Ross Still was sent off for Huntly with goals from Craig McKeown, Graeme Rodger and player-manager Paul Lawson (2) sealing United’s win.

Formartine assistant manager Russell Anderson said: “In a tough game to win 6-2 away from home I think you are happpy just to get through to the next round.

“In the second half, we played pretty well and scored some really good goals.

“It was nice for Andrew Greig to get off the mark and he looked sharp but we’re not surprised by that because we know what type of player he is and we’re delighted to have him.”

Huntly boss Charlie Charlesworth announced Stuart Cameron – who has worked with him at Lossiemouth and Deveronvale – has joined the club as first-team coach and said: “We were doing well up until the sending off and even then we were still pushing but a lack of experience in certain areas cost us in the end.”

Elsewhere, Deveronvale reached the semi-finals after winning their second round tie with Buckie Thistle 3-0 at Princess Royal Park.

Lewis Dunbar and Paul Sutherland netted in the first half and Dane Ballard’s penalty in the second period wrapped up victory.

In the first round, Banks o’ Dee came from behind to beat Keith 3-2 at Kynoch Park after extra-time. Cammy Keith and Donald Fraser fired the Maroons ahead early on, but Jamie Watt pulled one back before the break.

Watt struck again late on to force extra-time and Jack Henderson netted the winner in the second period.