Highland: Rennie at the ready to deny Broch as Inverurie stage late fightback

Connor Rennie in action for Locos. Picture by Darrell Benns

Inverurie Locos defender Connor Rennie was delighted to net his first goal for the club as they battled back for a 2-2 draw with Fraserbugh.

Rennie struck in stoppage-time at Harlaw Park with a stunning 20-yard strike as the Railwaymen twice came from behind to earn a draw after playing the last 36 minutes with 10 men.

The point keeps them in third, level on points with second-placed Broch, and they remain firmly in contention for a top-four finish and a place in the Challenge Cup.

Rennie said: “Scoring is new to me, it’s my first goal for the club.

“It was a good shift from all the lads and we’re delighted to get the point in the end.

“It was looking tough with 10 men in the last few minutes, but we worked hard and got what we deserved.

“I saw a heap of bodies coming towards me and I’d had a shot five minutes before which went past the post, so I just side-footed it and it went in.

“The Challenge Cup is massive for the club, so we’ve just got to keep going with performances like that and we’ll get results.”

Locos boss Neil Cooper added: “It was a great result for us in the end after the way the second half panned out.

“I said to the boys after the game that to play most of the second half with 10 men showed great character.”

The result means the Broch, who face Rangers on Sunday in the Scottish Cup, slip eight points behind league leaders Cove Rangers having a played a game more.

Boss Mark Cowie said: “That is Cove away with the league now. We’re out of it, Inverurie to me are out of it and it’s too much of an ask for Brora.

“Fair play to Cove, they have been the best side by a mile this season. I’m not giving up because there are a lot of hard games for Cove, but it will be very difficult for us to win it.

“I’m disappointed we’ve drawn. But if you are going to concede two goals you can’t really complain with the quality of their goals.”

The Broch took the lead five minutes before the break when Paul CAMPBELL scored a penalty after Mark Souter tripped him in the box.

But almost instantly Locos levelled with Stuart DUFF sending a stunning left-footed shot into the top corner from the edge of the box. Nine minutes after the break Joe McCabe was dismissed for the hosts after a two-footed lunge on Ryan Cowie.

With 19 minutes left, sub Graham Johnston’s corner was met by Jamie BEAGRIE, who looped a header home from 15 yards. But in injury-time RENNIE struck after the ball broke to him from a corner.