Goal hero Cammy hails Keith team-mates after tide turns at Fraserburgh

Cammy Keith, right, celebrates his second goal. Picture by Heather Fowlie

Keith’s penalty hero Cammy Keith said their 2-1 victory against Fraserburgh has been a long time coming.

It has been a tough campaign for the Maroons with their triumph at Bellslea only their third victory in 19 games in the Highland League.

Striker Keith delivered it with two nerveless second-half penalties and said: “It was great to get a result, coming here is probably always the toughest place in the Highland League to go.

“To get result after them being on such a high in the league and the Scottish Cup. That meant it was always going to be a difficult game.

“The conditions were typical Broch with the wind and the rain and freezing temperatures and going a goal behind. We kept it to 1-0 without really doing much first half.

“I think the turning point was Willie West’s open goal that he put over and you just thought ‘it’s going to be our day’.

“I’ve scored two penalties but I want to praise the team-mates behind me because I probably didn’t have too much of the ball.

“It has been a long time coming. We haven’t been getting the results some of our performances have merited. We have not been getting that rub of the green so hopefully we will get that rub of the green from now.”

Keith manager Ewan Robb added: “That has been three or four months in the coming.

“We’ve known we’ve got that about us, if you’re Fraserburgh you feel you should be killing the game. But we’ve had things going against us for three or four months and it kind of turned and went in our favour.

“They put two over the bar that they should have scored and we got the two penalties which I think were penalties and we tucked them away.”

The Broch missed the chance to go level on points with league leaders Cove and boss Mark Cowie said: “They should never have had the chance to come back into the game. It should have been over well before they got their first penalty.”

The opener came on 21 minutes for the hosts when a ball into the box broke off Greg Buchan for Marc Dickson who slid in from 12 yards ahead of Michael Ralton to score.

Seven minutes into the second period West missed a sitter, Buchan’s cross from the right saw him with the goal at his mercy but he blazed over from close in. Moments later Donald Fraser flashed wide for the Maroons from 25 yards.

Just prior to the hour Ralton headed West’s lob off the line for a corner and from the resulting dead ball from the right Ralton again cleared West’s stabbed effort from close range. Soon after Maroons goalie David Dey did well to keep out Buchan’s 15-yard strike.

On 63 minutes the visitors levelled when Dean Cowie handled a Keith effort and Keith stepped up and coolly dispatched the spot-kick.

Keith won it in the last minute of normal time after Lewis Davidson hauled down Ryan Spink and the striker moved within four of Derek Nicol’s club record of 200 goals when he struck the ball low into the right corner.