Cup fairytale turns sour for brave Banks o’ Dee as Ayr turn on the style in eight-goal Spain Park rout

Banks o’ Dee striker Jamie Watt scored twice but lamented their poor defending as Dee’s Scottish Cup fairytale came to an end against Ayr United.

Dee’s longest run in the competition was ended by a 6-2 loss at Spain Park in thee third round.

Watt netted two penalties in the first half to put the Aberdeen team 2-1 up but in the end the League One table toppers showed their class.

Watt said: “The game plan was to keep it tight, but we conceded a goal after about 30 seconds – and I couldn’t believe the goal we actually conceded.

“Some of the defending was poor on our side but at 2-1 up you could see they were starting to get a bit rattled.

“I did think we had a chance at 2-1 because they were getting annoyed with each other and going long, and I thought that would suit us.

“The goals we conceded were soft, but Ayr were lethal when their chances came along.”

On his penalties Watt added: “For the first one I was concussed and when I got up my legs were a bit wobbly and I thought about passing it on. But their goalie took that long getting treatment that I was feeling better by the time I had to take it.

“I put it away, so I was happy – and I did the same with the second.”

Dee co-manager Tommy Forbes, who is in charge alongside Sandy McNaughton, added: “Ayr had four goals in the first half from six shots.

“They were clinical but they have done that to better teams than Banks o’ Dee. There is no doubt they showed their class at times.

“It’s frustrating that they didn’t have to work hard for some of their goals but we’ve had a great run in the cup and created a bit of history by getting into the third round.”

Ayr boss Ian McCall said: “Dee were decent but the main thing for us was to get through and we did that.”

The Junior outfit endured a nightmare start falling behind inside a minute. A mix-up between Alan White and Matthew Robertson led to White kicking the ball off Robertson and it broke for former Don Lawrence SHANKLAND who touched it home from close range.

Lesser teams may have folded but not Dee, and they equalised from the penalty spot.

The spot-kick was awarded in the fourth minute. A ball into the box was headed away by former Don Michael Rose.

However, keeper Jordan Hart also came for it and in the process clattered Watt, and after a four-and-a-half minute delay while Hart got treatment, WATT blasted it into the top left corner.

Dee were comfortable and took the lead on 25 minutes when referee Craig Napier pointed to the spot for a second time.

Ayr skipper Ross Docherty knocked Michael Philipson over in an off the ball challenge.

WATT stepped up again and beat Hart low into the bottom left corner – this was fairytale stuff for Dee.

But the Honest Men showed their quality and equalised on 37 minutes when SHANKLAND tapped in at the back post after a brilliant ball right across goal from Moore.

And just two minutes before half-time sub Declan McDAID lashed the ball high into the net from 15 yards to make it 3-2 to Ayr.

The visitors had a fourth in stoppage time at the end of the half when McDAID collected Crawford’s cutback from the left and stabbed home from eight yards.

On 56 minutes Kane Winton was sent off for a second booking after catching David Ferguson with an elbow.

On 63 minutes MOORE put the game to bed with a fine strike from 16 yards and added another minutes later to make it 6-2.