Inverurie Locos boss Cooper happy to win as Duff takes to Harlaw Park pitch for last time

Stuart Duff.
Stuart Duff.

Inverurie Locos boss Neil Cooper was pleased to win in Stuart Duff’s last game for the club.

The Railwaymen ended their season with a 1-0 success against Rothes at Harlaw Park, courtesy of a Chris Angus goal.

It also brought down the curtain on Duff’s playing career.

The former Don, who also starred for Dundee United, Inverness Caley Thistle, Kairat Almaty and Cove Rangers, is hanging up his boots to become a coach in Aberdeen’s youth academy.

The 37-year-old joined Locos in January 2017 and has been a player-coach under Cooper.

On Duff, Cooper said: “It was quite emotional for everyone at the club because since Stuart has come to the club his attitude has been first class.

“On the park his leadership qualities have been there for all to see and his coaching input has been great as well.

“We’ve got the utmost respect for Stuart and how he’s gone about his business.

“We wish him all the best in his coaching career in the Aberdeen youth academy.

“We told him after the game he’s welcome to come back to the club at any time.”

The win against Rothes gives Inverurie the chance to finish fifth. Forres are three points behind in sixth with one game left.

But the Can-Cans would need to beat Fort William by 15 goals to pip Locos.

Cooper added: “It was good to win and finish the season. Cove won against Forres so we are three points ahead of Forres.

“But they play Fort William in their last game so it comes down to goal difference. They will need to get a few against Fort William but that is still a possibility.

“We were the better team in the first half but we didn’t make use of our territorial advantage to get the second goal.

“Rothes came back and Andy Reid made a couple of great saves in the second half and there was some good defending.

“There were other chances we didn’t take and 1-0 is never an easy position to be in.

“Rothes had won their last two games coming from behind so we knew they were a good, resilient side.

“It was a hard game but good to finish the season with a win and a clean sheet.”

Elsewhere Fraserburgh wrapped up third place in their final game of the season, thrashing Fort William 7-0.

Sean Butcher and Aidan Combe bagged braces with Scott Barbour, Paul Campbell and an own goal the other counters for the Broch.

Huntly drew 0-0 with fourth-placed Formartine United at Christie Park.

Turriff United finished their season with a 3-3 draw against Buckie Thistle at the Haughs.

Luke Kinsella was sent off for Turra after Dylan Stuart had fired them in front. Angus Grant made it 2-0 but the Jags replied through Andy MacAskill.

Ross Anderson made it 3-1 before strikes from Sam Robertson and MacAskill rescued a point for Buckie, who had Sam Morrison sent off late on.

Second-placed Brora beat Deveronvale 1-0 at Princess Royal Park due to Ross Aitken’s own goal.

Marc McGregor’s double gave Wick a point at home to Keith after Michael Selfridge and Craig MacAskill had the Maroons ahead.