Aberdeen will not give up the fight to sign Shaun Maloney despite reports his former club Celtic are lining up a bid to secure him as a coach.
The Dons remain confident a deal can still be done to bring the 34-year-old attacker to Pittodrie.
Reds boss Derek McInnes was on the brink of securing Maloney on a two-year deal earlier this month until the former Celtic and Aston Villa star flagged up an injury concern.
It was agreed by both parties that the injury would be further investigated before a deal could be agreed.
However, Celtic are understood to be keen on taking Maloney back to Parkhead as U20 coach after Jim McGuinness quit the role for Chinese Super League side Beijing Sinobo Guaon.
McInnes is set to meet with Maloney this week to discuss his injury situation and it is hoped a deal can be completed if there are no concerns with his long-term fitness.
That meeting will happen after the Reds return from Cyprus on Friday following the Europa League third qualifying round second leg tie with Apollon Limassol.
Aberdeen hold a 2-1 advantage.
Maloney is a free agent having rejected the offer of a one-year contract extension from Hull City.
Maloney spent two spells at Celtic and won four league titles, four Scottish Cups and three League Cups.
The Aberdeen-raised attacker was at Parkhead as a spectator last week for Celtic’s 0-0 draw with Rosenborg in the Champions League third qualifying round first leg.
Earlier this month McInnes confirmed the deal had been put on ice after Maloney flagged the injury concern.
At the time, McInnes said: “There’s still a willingness from both parties, Shaun and ourselves, to get a deal done, but Shaun flagged up a wee concern when we met up. We are just doing further investigation between the both of us.”
McInnes is also hopeful of securing Motherwell attacker Louis Moult.
The Reds have had bids of £400,000 and £250,000 for Moult rejected by the Steelmen.
Meanwhile, McInnes has issued a rallying call for supporters to snap up season tickets to make Pittodrie feared and bolster his budget to secure new players.
Season ticket sales for the new campaign have already exceeded the 10,000 mark but McInnes has urged supporters who have not already bought them to take the plunge.
Pittodrie was a 20,085 sell-out for the 2-1 defeat of Apollon Limassol in the Europa League third qualifying round first leg on Thursday and McInnes also wants big crowds domestically. He said:
“On Thursday night I felt our club was at its best, with the players and 20,000 Dons fans as one trying to get the result. When you see an atmosphere like that you want it to be more like that all the time.
“The atmosphere lifted our players and intimidated the opposition.
“It (a sell-out) also generated additional income for the club to enable me to reinvest in the football operation. Myself, the management team and the players are really excited about the new league campaign which promises to be highly competitive.
“I completely understand everyone’s circumstances are different, and some people cannot contribute as much as others.
“But I ask you to help me level the playing field by surpassing our best season ticket sales ever.
“That’s why I am reaching out to you to urge you to invest in a season ticket if you have not done so already.”