A historic former North-east hospital has been destroyed after flames ripped through the building last night.
More than 60 firefighters worked through the night to tackle the blaze at the Glen O’Dee in Banchory.
A total of 10 appliances with 62 firefighters from Aberdeen Central, Altens, North Anderson Drive, Turriff, Buckie, Inverurie, Kintore, Aboyne, Banchory and Stonehaven were all sent to the blaze.
One height vehicle and three water carriers were immediately mobilised to treat the inferno at the category A-listed building.
The hospital was built in the late 19th century and was Scotland’s first tuberculosis sanatorium.
It was subsequently a luxury hotel, a billet for troops during World War 2 and a convalescent hospital.
It was finally closed in 1990 and has been on the Buildings at Risk Register since 1993.
The building even appeared on a BBC TV restoration programme where it was going to be demolished so housing could be built in its place.
The fire last night is one of many which have been sparked at the building since it closed its doors for the final time.
Crews tackled the fire externally and it was brought under control at around 4.15am this morning.
There were no casualties and a nearby hospital building did not require to be evacuated.
Colin Grieve, incident commander of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS), said: “There were challenging conditions but firefighters worked extremely hard to bring the fire under control.”
Police were also called just before midnight to the incident to help the fire service during the operation.
A Police Scotland spokesman said: “We were called by the fire service to assist them with a fire at the Glen O’Dee hospital just before midnight.”
A fire investigation will take place later in a bid to establish how the fire started.
A SFRS spokesman added: “Firefighters will remain on the scene to ensure the fire doesn’t flare up again.
“An investigations team will then take over to work out how this fire started.
“At the moment we are not in a position to say how the fire came about at the Glen O’Dee hospital.”