A north-east woman said she was shocked after an overheating iPhone sparked a blaze which gutted her bedroom.
Leah Shead, an 18-year-old carer, had left her iPhone in its charger to nip to the shops for half an hour with her 73-year-old grandad Raymond Maver.
And she was stunned when she returned to find emergency services had battled a fire which ripped through her room.
She had left the phone charging on her bed among the covers, but it became overheated, causing the blaze.
And she told how her pet hamster Kade escaped the fire unscathed – despite being in her bedroom.
Leah, of Den Crescent, in Keith, said: “Me and my granda just nipped to Tesco and I left my phone to charge thinking it’ll be fine that one time.
“We must have been gone 20 minutes or 30 minutes. On our way back home a police van went shooting past us as we turned on to the road to our home.
“When we approached, Den Crescent beside ours was closed off by police and the fire brigade.
“I got out of the vehicle and walked up to my home to see what was going on. My family friend had told me there was a fire in my room.
“The first thing that came into my mind were my animals, but my two dogs Max and Sasha were fine as they got moved out of the garden, but my hamster Kade is just under a year old and was in my bedroom at the time.
“About 20 minutes later a member of the fire crew carried out my hamster cage and he was fine, surprisingly.”
But Leah said the blaze, which happened on Wednesday, could have been much worse.
She said: “They asked if I was a smoker – which I’m not. As the policewoman was asking me this, they carried out my burned bed and bedcovers. This was a shock to me as it didn’t normally overheat as bad.
“I was quite emotional as it could have been worse or even at night – me or my granda probably wouldn’t have made it through it.”
Fire chiefs have issued advice warning people of the dangers of leaving phones plugged in to chargers.
Station manager Graeme Laird said: “This incident had the potential to be more serious and we can’t stress enough how important it is to unplug any chargers before you go out.
“With so many devices needing to be charged these days it is vital everyone makes sure they take care. Never leave items on charge or unattended for long periods.”
No one from Apple was available for comment.