Tributes as Victoria, 39, named as victim of fatal Aberdeen fire

Tributes were today paid to a woman who died in an Aberdeen flat fire.

The 39-year-old, named locally as Victoria Eighteen – who is also known as Victoria Fallon – died on Monday night when a blaze broke out at her home on Shapinsay Square, Aberdeen.

Neighbours paid tribute, saying she was a caring woman who kept herself to herself.

One resident who lives in the same block of flats said Victoria was a pleasant woman who would always chat.

She said: “I didn’t know her that well, but she lived here for quite a while and was always nice to me.

“It was such a shame to hear about what happened, I just hope her family are okay.”

Another resident who lives in the block said she had smoke coming through her son’s room during the blaze.

She said: “It was pretty scary seeing all the firefighters running up the stairs. I wasn’t allowed in my house until 10.50pm, but I was wanting in as I was worried for my cat.

“It was such a shame to hear she had died, I hope the family are coping well.”

Detectives and fire chiefs were today continuing a probe into the circumstances leading up to the blaze, but it is understood the fire is being treated by police as non-suspicious.

A specialist investigation team based in Edinburgh travelled to Aberdeen yesterday to carry out a probe into the circumstances leading up to the fire.

Police and firefighters were called to the block of flats in the city’s Woodend at just after 9pm after receiving reports of a fire on the second floor.

A total of 14 firefighters were sent to the scene and they helped escort residents from the block.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “Officers attended the report of a house fire at a property on Shapinsay Square, Aberdeen.

“Scottish Fire and Rescue Service personal also deployed to the scene and, following their intervention, the fire was successfully extinguished.

“Sadly, a 39-year-old woman died as a result. No other persons were injured.”

Police remained at the block of flats for much of yesterday while the investigation continued.