Fencing around the derelict site of a demolished Aberdeen school has been re-secured following concerns over children playing on the land.
Mark McDonald MSP wrote to Aberdeen City Council last month after residents contacted him about children breaching security fences at the old Summerhill Education Centre site on Lang Stracht.
The local authority has now said planning permission for new housing on the site is expected to be granted “shortly”.
Replying to Mr McDonald’s letter, Bernadette Marjoram, the council’s director of communities, housing and infrastructure, said: “Following a site visit made on August 9 instructions were issued on August 10 to have the existing perimeter fencing checked and re-secured as a matter of urgency.
“I am assured that this work has now been completed.
“Once construction work starts on site, the existing fencing will be checked and reinforced.
“Thereafter the contractors will check the fencing and site security on a daily basis.”
She also added no security breaches had been reported to the council in the past year, but there had been a history of fence panels being “forcibly separated”.
Mr McDonald said: “This is a welcome response to the concerns raised over the safety of a long empty site.
“I am pleased the council is heeding my warning by securing the site and reinforcing the fencing round the perimeter.
“Given that the site is marked for new housing, I hope to see progress in the very near future, where the earth mound can be flattened and used for new roads and parking areas within the new housing development.
“It is disappointing to note there has been a history of the fence panels being forcibly separated on the site, and I would encourage the community to continue to report any signs of unauthorised entry to help ensure the ongoing security of the site.”
The area has been empty since the building, formerly Summerhill Academy, was demolished in 2012.
The council has lodged plans to build almost 370 flats on the site.