A safety warning has been issued for some types of fidget spinners.
Aberdeenshire Council’s Trading Standards team has issued a warning over the latest must-have kids’ gadget.
Consumers have been urged to be vigilant after reports that parts have become detached from a number of fidget spinners, which could pose a choking hazard.
Fidget spinners are designed to help relieve stress and have a calming affect.
Some models which light up contain button cell batteries, which would pose a significant risk if swallowed by children.
People are being advised to ensure their toy bears the CE Mark and details of the manufacturer or importer into the EU. The manufacturer or importer must also hold the relevant technical documentation.
Aberdeenshire Council’s Trading Standards manager Wilma Urquhart said: “While there have been no reports of any injuries in Aberdeenshire, we are warning parents not to allow children under 36 months to play with these items.
“Furthermore check that if your children have a light-up fidget spinner, the battery is only accessible by using a tool, such as a screwdriver. Do not allow children to play with items which have unsecured access to batteries.”
Trading Standards staff are visiting premises across Aberdeenshire to check any stock of fidget spinners is compliant with safety regulations.
Concerned consumers can call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 040506, businesses wishing to double check stock can call trading standards on (01467) 537222 or (01346) 415888.
If a child has swallowed batteries, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. They are warned not to induce vomiting.