THE Old Royal Station was built as a waiting room for Queen Victoria on her visits to Balmoral Castle.
In 1866 the railway line had been extended to Ballater and served the town until 1966.
The station was at first a simple booking office on a single platform but in 1886 the Royal Waiting Room was built to a design approved by Queen Victoria.
The station fell into disuse after the closure of the railway line before being refurbished for use as an area office by the local District Council.
The wooden building was then restored as a station and contained displays on the 100 year history of royal use as well a shop, restaurant and tourism centre.
The Royal Waiting Room was visited by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth on its centenary in 1986. Afterwards Her Majesty inspected the Royal Guard in front of the station as had been the tradition after the arrival of the Royal Train over the years.
In 2008 a replica carriage of one used by Queen Victoria to travel between Windsor and Ballater in 1869 was unveiled at the station.
The hand-crafted attraction is an exact copy of the original, which is on display at the National Railway Museum in York.
Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, Duke and Duchess of Rothesay, took time out on their anniversary to unveil the carriage. The prince set the wheels in motion for the £450,000 project when he suggested in 2001 that visitors to the town may enjoy seeing the royal carriage.