Residents warned to ensure smoke alarms are fitted after Aberdeen flat fire blaze

A warning has been issued after it emerged homes in a block of flats that went up in smoke didn’t have fire alarms.

More than 20 firefighters battled a blaze at a flat on Aberdeen’s Albyn Grove.

The fire happened in a kitchen in a ground floor property, which was unoccupied at the time.

Firefighters, wearing protective breathing apparatus, entered the burning building and led three people to safety.

They used powerful water jets to extinguish the blaze, which happened just after 10am on Saturday.

Residents within the block were forced to stay in their homes for a period of time until firefighters came to get them.

And after ensuring the area was made safe, firefighters were forced to fit smoke detectors after it emerged some of the properties in the block didn’t have them.

Station manager Gordon Riddel, who was the incident commander, said: “Preventing fires from happening in the first place is of paramount importance.

“Smoke detectors can save lives and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service would encourage everybody to ensure they have working smoke detectors in their homes.

“In addition, we offer free home fire safety visits (HFSVs) which are designed to help residents recognise risks within their living space.

“We share advice with occupants on what to do in the event of a fire as well as checking existing or installing new smoke detectors.

“I would urge anyone who wishes to receive a HFSV to contact their nearest station or visit the SFRS website.”

Police closed the road between Stanley Street and Union Grove while firefighters tackled the blaze.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman added: “The residents were at their windows with the windows open.

“They were safer in their homes rather than going out into the smoke-filled close.

“At the time, they communicated with firefighters on how best to remain safe.”

More from the Evening Express

    Cancel