A police probe has been launched into claims a schoolboy had a knife on board a school bus in the North-east.
An investigation is being carried out into the circumstances surrounding an incident on board a bus on Monday afternoon.
It is understood that the pupil allegedly had a knife in his hand which was confiscated from him by the bus driver.
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Police Scotland can confirm that officers are investigating a report regarding the possession of a bladed weapon on a bus at around 3.30pm on Monday, June 12, 2017.
“Inquiries are currently ongoing.”
It is understood the youngster was a secondary school pupil in Aberdeenshire.
An Aberdeenshire Council spokeswoman said: “We cannot comment due to the fact there is a live police investigation.”
The bus company declined to comment.
In a letter to parents from the headmaster of the school he wrote: “You may see news reports in the coming days related to an incident on one of our school transports.
“I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you all that the incident was dealt with swiftly and with the utmost seriousness.
“We cannot reveal any further details at this time, as this is now a matter for police.”
He added: “As you know, we take the safety and security of our young people very seriously.
“Through the ethos of our school and the hard work of our staff, we will support all of our pupils and their families should they have any concerns.”
It comes after a multi-agency campaign was launched in city schools earlier this year encouraging schoolchildren to take a pledge not to carry knives.
The #lifenotknife project was introduced in Aberdeen in the wake of the stabbing of 16-year-old Cults Academy pupil Bailey Gwynne. Bailey died from his injuries in October 2015.