North-east school evacuated after electrical fire

Aboyne Academy

A school in the North-east was evacuated due to an electric fire.

Pupils were told to leave lessons at Aboyne Academy on Ballater Road at just before 11.30am today after a small fire broke out in the swimming pool area.

Firefighters took just over 30 minutes to deal with the problem, which was due to an electric fault in the power unit of a floodlight unit.

Fire officers left the school at just after noon and children were allowed back into the school.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “Firefighters were called to Deeside Community Education Centre at 11.24am after receiving report of a small electrical fire.

“Two appliances were sent to the centre – one from Ballater and one from Aboyne.

“Fire officers used a thermal imaging camera to find the source of the problem, which was in the power unit of a floodlight.

“The school was evacuated for a short period and the problem was rectified shortly afterwards.

“Firefighters left the school at 11.57am.”

An Aberdeenshire Council spokeswoman confirmed the children had left the school while firefighters looked into the problem.