Residents in an Aberdeen community have spoken of their shock after a man was killed in a house fire.
A 53-year-old died after the blaze ripped through a property on Gladstone Place in Woodside shortly after 4pm on Friday.
A joint investigation has been launched by Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service to establish the cause of the fire.
Neighbours told of their horror as they watched last week’s tragic events unfold.
Lauren Schlunegger, who lives close to the fire-hit property, said her dog alerted her to the blaze.
She said: “I was in when it happened. I was woken up by the smell of smoke and my dog barking.
“By that time the firefighters were already there, as well as police.
“It’s very scary. I think everyone in the area will have got a bit of a fright because this sort of thing doesn’t happen around here very often.
“It’s absolutely shocking that this has happened, especially with it being so close by.”
Residents described the man as “quiet” and said he “kept himself to himself”.
Keep up to date with the latest news with The Evening Express newsletter
Fellow neighbour James Massie said: “The area has been very busy with police since it happened.
“I didn’t really know the guy who lived in the flat. I think he was quiet.
“I was at work when the fire started. I came home and the street was all cordoned off.
“It’s shocking. You don’t expect that to happen on your doorstep.
“I think it could be a bit of a wake-up call for people. When it happens out of the blue like that it’s a shock to the system because it could happen to anyone.”
A spokesman for Police Scotland said: “A 53-year-old man has died after a house fire on Gladstone Place in Aberdeen.
“A joint investigation has been launched with SFRS.”
A spokeswoman for the fire service said three appliances were called to the scene.