Three men were forced to jump out of a window in a bid to escape a major blaze at an Aberdeen restaurant today.
The men who live above Dyce Tandoori had to clamber to safety after the fire broke out in the kitchen below.
A waiter who lives in one of the flats told how he was woken by the fire alarm going off before alerting his three neighbours.
Abu Zayfar managed to escape down stairs but the other men had to climb out of an upstairs back window and then on to a flat roof to escape.
He said: “At the time I was worried about the people who live upstairs.
“There are four of us. There is a window at the back of the restaurant and the other three had to climb through it.
“As soon as I heard the fire alarm I went downstairs.
“I then opened the kitchen door but it was full of smoke so I then called the fire brigade. The main thing is everyone is safe.”
The blaze, which broke out at 4.45am at the Stoneywood Road eatery, was caused by a fryer. It is not thought to be suspicious.
The kitchen and storeroom was badly damaged due to the flames.
Stoneywood Road was closed for more than an hour while fire crews battled the blaze. Diversions were put in place.
A total of four fire appliances were called involving 19 firefighters.
The owner of the restaurant today spoke of his devastation following the incident.
“There is no other damage to anywhere else in the building,” he said.
“We apologise to our clients and customers for the inconvenience caused.
“Everyone is safe. We will work hard to get the restaurant back open in a few weeks time.
“Residents in the flats had to be evacuated for safety reasons.”
He added: “It’s very disappointing for my staff who work here.
“We have been through a lot due to the economy situation in Aberdeen.
“We have survived while others haven’t.
“The incident was an accident and wasn’t in our control. I was panicking when I got the call to say there was a fire.
“The fire service have done a tremendous job.
“Within 45 minutes the fire was out.”