Man who pulled knife in rant on Aberdeen street is jailed

A man has been jailed after admitting brandishing a knife during a drink and drug-fuelled rant.

Connor Stewart, 24, sparked the suspicions of a woman who saw him “loitering” near a van.

Stewart admitted stealing a bike from an address at the Gallowgate before behaving in a threatening or abusive manner outside Mark Shaw Funeral Directors on George Street.

Stewart shouted, swore and acted aggressively while making abusive remarks and brandishing a knife.

He also threw items of clothing about and kicked a lampshade while in possession of a knife at an address on Ferryhill Gardens.

The offences took place on December 30 last year.

Fiscal Depute John Richardson told the court Stewart stole the bike, then cycled to George Street and was seen by a woman just after 9am.

He said: “For some reason the witness regards the accused as worthy of watching and sees him approaching members of the public asking for money.

“A few minutes later the witness sees the accused loitering in the vicinity of a nearby van which is making a delivery.”

The court heard the woman shouted towards Stewart and he swore at her in response.

Mr Richardson said: “This consolidates suspicions in her mind, she goes to the van driver and tells him what she is concerned about. He begins to move the van.”

Stewart continued his outburst towards the woman, something that was seen by a customer of a nearby shop, who attempted to intervene.

Mr Richardson said: “The accused removes the knife from his pocket and brandishes it whilst continuing his tirade.”

Mr Richardson said the blade was described as a folding knife.

Stewart left on the bike and police were contacted.

Defence agent Peter Shepherd said Stewart had consumed alcohol and valium the night before and into the early hours prior to the offences.

He added: “He can do no more than apologise for his behaviour.”

Stewart, a prisoner of HMP Grampian, was jailed for nine months for the offences by Sheriff Alison Stirling. He received a further four months after admitting having offensive weapons – two knives – in public.