An Aberdeen man rescued from a burning block of flats by two Good Samaritans has hailed them as heroes.
Alexsandru Gheorghe was relaxing at his city home when he got a frantic knock at the door – and found Dominic Booth and his partner Will Maddox there.
The couple were passing the block of flats on Lamond Place, Berryden, on Sunday evening when they noticed smoke billowing from the property – so set about getting the residents out and dialling 999.
The force of the fire smashed out a first-floor window and firefighters battled the flames for 25 minutes.
“If it weren’t for Dominic and Will, I wouldn’t have known anything about the fire – who knows what would have happened? People could have been killed,” said Alexsandru.
The 29-year-old added: “I was sat inside and heard this frantic knock.
“They told me, ‘hurry up, you need to get out, there’s a fire,’ and within a minute, I had my shoes on and was outside.
“We need more people in the world like them. They are heroes.”
Dominic and Will, who live in nearby Jamaica Street, were on their way for a pint at the Noose And Monkey pub when the drama unfolded.
Dominic, 24, said: “We were walking down the street and all of a sudden all this smoke was coming out of the building.
“Will started banging on the front door to let them know and I called the fire brigade.
“Eventually, someone came down and opened the door and we started banging on all the internal doors.
“Will went next door as well.
“We both work in hotels, so fire safety training just kicked in.”
Dominic gave one resident his jacket to keep him warm.
“This old man came out and said it was his flat and a chip pan had gone on fire,” he said.
Will, 37, said: “I’m just glad everyone is OK. We did what anyone would have done.”
Keep up to date with the latest news with The Evening Express newsletter
Nobody was hurt in the fire, which caused extensive damage to furniture and one of the flats.
A section of Leslie Terrace was closed for an hour to allow emergency services access.
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We received a call at 5.50pm of a fire on Lamond Place in Aberdeen.
“Fire crews attended the scene and the fire was extinguished at 6.15pm.”
A Police Scotland spokesman said: “The fire was extinguished and all occupants are safe and well.”