An Aberdeen church has celebrated its 200th anniversary.
Woodside Congregational Church marked the milestone at the weekend, on the date the first church was established in Woodside.
An independent, congregational church, it first began meeting in the basement of the Laird’s house in 1818.
The area was known as Printfield at the time, taking its name from the calico printing which took place at Woodside Works.
It resulted in the rapid growth of the area and a thatched church was then built in 1819, known as the cotton chapel.
To mark its 200th year, the church held a service of celebration at Woodside Community Centre. After that, a civic reception was hosted at the Town House by Lord Provost Barney Crockett.
Rev Andy Cowie, minister of Woodside Congregational Church, said: “We heard from a number of families with historic connections to the church.
“Greetings have come from as far as Australia. We have also made contact with a family who were involved in the establishment of the church 200 years ago.
“The family was heavily involved until it closed in 1994 – the Barker family and five of that family were at the recent celebration.
“The last active member was George Barker and his daughter Elizabeth Ewen.”
When it started up, it subsequently left the Congregational Union of Scotland, and affiliated itself to the Evangelical Union.
Keep up to date with the latest news with The Evening Express newsletter
However, it then returned to become a Congregational church again in the 1860s.
It continued during war time but lost 56 members during the First World War, including Private George B Moran, of Western Road, who died aged only 20, while serving with the Gordon Highlanders.
In the Second World War, the church was badly damaged in a bombing raid that took place on April 21 1943.
As well as services, it was also host to both Boys’ and Girls’ Brigade companies – the 49th Boys’ Brigade and the 30th Girls’ Brigade, which later became the 39th.
Unfortunately, 24 years ago, Woodside Congregational Church closed.
It was not the end of its story, however, as it reopened only three years later.
Unable to use its previous building on Great Northern Road, it had to move.
The building is still in place, however now sits derelict.
The church as it is now meets in the Printfield Project’s temporary building which is at the rear of their base on Clifton Road.
Speaking about the civic reception Rev Cowie added: “It went very well, it really was a good day.
“There was a great crowd at the service.
“We went to the Town House afterwards and met the Lord Provost.”
A book on the history of the church is currently being updated, and an appeal has been made for anyone who may have information about the group, or the Girls’ and Boys’ Brigades, to come forward.
Anyone with information can contact Rev Andy Cowie, on 01224 703248.