Exploding Irn Bru can leaves Aberdeen man’s pet dog in shock

A man has called for answers after a can of Irn Bru exploded in his fridge, blowing the door wide open and frightening his dog.

Bud Kane was at his Aberdeen home with his pet dog Parker when the multipack can inexplicably blew up, shattering the lid and blasting the fridge door open.

AG Barr, which makes the drink, said it was investigating the incident.

The experience, said Mr Kane, left his two-year-old beagle Parker in shock and with “toilet problems” – and he has asked the manufacturers of the popular Scottish soft drink to explain what could have gone wrong.

Mr Kane, 62, said: “I’ve been drinking Irn Bru for years and nothing like this has ever happened before. You don’t expect your fridge to blow up.”

Explaining what happened, the former manager of the Gray’s Inn pub, said: “I was two rooms away and heard a loud bang.

“I was confused as to what it could have been so I came into the room and saw Parker there in shock. Things were coming out of him at both ends.

“I saw the fridge opened and checked what had happened -– the explosion had taken the top of the can straight off and there was a strange red substance on the lid. Maybe that’s the secret ingredient – who knows?”

Along with Mr Kane, his daughter Jennifer, 38, and granddaughter Alex, 19, were also at his Mastrick home, but nobody was injured in the incident, which happened at 3.30pm on Friday.

He said: “I’m just glad that none of us were near it. It could have caused someone quite an injury.

“I have contacted the people who make Irn Bru to find out what may have happened and they haven’t got back yet.

“The last thing anyone would want is for this to happen to anyone else and for anybody to be hurt.”

A spokesman for AG Barr, said: “We are sorry that Mr Kane and his dog experienced the can incident.

“We take the safety of our packaging and products very seriously so we’ll arrange for the can to be sent to us straight away so we can fully investigate.”

Breaking

    Cancel