Investigation continues into huge Aberdeen warehouse blaze

Investigations are continuing into a fire which ripped through an Aberdeen industrial estate.

The blaze took hold in the Smiddybrae works in Kingswells at around 2pm on Saturday afternoon.

The warehouse houses a number of businesses.

© Ian and Marlene McKay
The fire at its height

Police could be seen at the scene as the probe into the cause continued.

Photographer Judy Laing, who set up her studio in the Forest Homes building at the complex in September along with fellow photographer Sarah Ferry, said: “Our studio is quite badly damaged.

“We might be able to salvage some things but there is probably smoke and water damage.

“We will have to start almost from scratch in terms of equipment.

“However, we did have our computers and cameras at home with us, so it could have been a lot worse.

“For the newborn photography, we are going to have to get somewhere else as soon as we can.

“We have already been out looking for new premises.

“It’s important that we find somewhere because we have people booked in for shoots and with newborns, you only have two or three weeks.”

Judy added, however, that she was grateful nobody had been hurt.

She said: “It happened on a Saturday and thankfully there were no clients in.

“I know some of the guys from the garage were in but thankfully everyone was okay.

“We are really grateful for that.

“However, people have lost a lot.

“Things can be replaced but the love and energy that’s been put into building up a small business can’t.”

Keep up to date with the latest news with The Evening Express newsletter

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said the investigation was ongoing.

She said: “SFRS was alerted at 2.21pm on Saturday April 13 to reports of a fire within a warehouse in Aberdeen.

“Operations control mobilised a number for fire engines to Smiddybrae Works in Skene Road, where firefighters extinguished the fire.

“There were no casualties.”

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: “Inquiries into the fire are still ongoing.”