In Pictures: Around Aberdeen’s Kirkgates

In this week’s Aberdonian we have taken a look back through our picture archive looking at historical images of Aberdeen’s Kirkgates.

Our pictures show just how much these city centre streets have changed since the 1920s.

1983: Provost Skene’s House could be seen after demolition of buildings at the corner of Upperkirkgate and George Street.
1983: Provost Skene’s House could be seen after demolition of buildings at the corner of Upperkirkgate and George Street.
1990: Upperkirkgate looking towards Marischal College, as pictured at the start of the 1990s.
1990: Upperkirkgate looking towards Marischal College, as pictured at the start of the 1990s.
1939: A pre-war view of the Wallace Tower long before it was moved to Seaton.
1939: A pre-war view of the Wallace Tower long before it was moved to Seaton.
1953: The junction of Schoolhill, St Nicholas Street and Upperkirkgate is almost unrecognisable compared to today.
1953: The junction of Schoolhill, St Nicholas Street and Upperkirkgate is almost unrecognisable compared to today.
1954: The Wallace Tower in the Netherkirkgate, pictured in the 1950s.
1954: The Wallace Tower in the Netherkirkgate, pictured in the 1950s.
1920s: Blairton Lane in the Guestrow slum clearance area of Aberdeen.
1920s: Blairton Lane in the Guestrow slum clearance area of Aberdeen.
1932: A view from the Greyfriars Church tower looking towards Upperkirkgate.
1932: A view from the Greyfriars Church tower looking towards Upperkirkgate.
1974: An aerial view taking in the entire Upperkirkgate area and beyond.
1974: An aerial view taking in the entire Upperkirkgate area and beyond.
1964: The Marks & Spencer store seen under construction on its site in St Nicholas Street.
1964: The Marks & Spencer store seen under construction on its site in St Nicholas Street.
1960: Guestrow pictured back in the days when finding spaces was a little easier
1960: Guestrow pictured back in the days when finding spaces was a little easier
1974: Upperkirkgate as seen from the top of Marischal College.
1974: Upperkirkgate as seen from the top of Marischal College.
1957: Council officials take a traffic census in the narrow Netherkirkgate.
1957: Council officials take a traffic census in the narrow Netherkirkgate.
1930s Boys Hospital Court, Upperkirkgate, formerly Bourtie’s Court.
1930s Boys Hospital Court, Upperkirkgate, formerly Bourtie’s Court.
1953: An almost deserted Upperkirkgate pictured in the early 1950s.
1953: An almost deserted Upperkirkgate pictured in the early 1950s.
Breaking

    Cancel