Aberdeen football fan locked up for six months over violent behaviour

Post Thumbnail

An Aberdeen football “hooligan” has been jailed for six months and banned from attending matches for three years.

Kevin Goffin was charged under the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act after making offensive remarks towards a Celtic fan and shouting, swearing and making offensive remarks at police officers.

The offences took places at Glasgow Central station on November 27 – before the Celtic v Aberdeen Scottish League Cup final on the same day.

Goffin, from the city’s Kincorth Circle area, had been on his way to watch Celtic play the Dons at Hampden Park when the row broke out in Marks & Spencer.

British Transport Police (BTP) were called and when they arrived Goffin became increasingly hostile.

The 35-year-old was restrained after launching a torrent of homophobic and violent abuse at the officers.

The abuse continued all the way to police custody.

Goffin was charged with one count contrary to the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act and one count contrary to the Criminal Justice and Licensing Act.

He appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Wednesday where he was sentenced to six months in jail and given a three-year football banning order.

BTP sergeant Michael McEwan said: “Threatening or abusive behaviour will simply not be tolerated and I am pleased that this man has been handed a prison sentence.

“Goffin was travelling towards the Aberdeen v Celtic match but instead he spent his afternoon in police custody because of his irresponsible and violent behaviour.

“He will now spend the next six months behind bars and it will be three years before he can attend another football match.

“Plenty of time for him to reflect on his actions.”

He added: “I hope his days of hooliganism are well and truly behind him.

“We are committed to protecting the travelling public from this kind of mindless hooliganism and we are satisfied our application for a banning order against him has been granted.”