PROPOSALS to build more than 120 affordable homes on the footprint of a historic prison will be lodged next month.
And this is the first glimpse of how the former Craiginches Prison site in Torry could look.
The proposed scheme by Sanctuary Scotland Housing Association is expected to include around 127 flats and houses.
It is estimated around 25% of the site will be houses, leaving the remaining 75% as flats – and all of the properties will be classed as affordable housing.
If the plans are approved by Aberdeen City Council, work is hoped to start next spring and the development is expected to be finished in autumn 2017.
Alan Hannah, development manager at Sanctuary Scotland Housing Association, said: “We hope to lodge a planning application sometime in June.
“We are then looking to have a decision made on the plans by the end of the year.
“Once this is achieved, the site will then be fully purchased.
“All parties are speaking on a positive note.”
The Scottish Prison Service is in the process of selling the prison to Sanctuary Scotland Housing Association.
Craiginches Prison in Torry closed permanently in January last year, along with HMP Peterhead, to be replaced by HMP Grampian.