10 things you’ll want to keep away from your pets over Christmas

Post Thumbnail

A leading emergency vet is appealing for North-east pet owners to be aware of potential dangers for animals at Christmas.

Vets Now, an emergency veterinary, said a third of Aberdeen pet owners will experience an accident this festive season, and said they will see a “33% surge” in calls to their Aberdeen clinic, which is situated on Skene Road.

Dave Leicester, head of clinical intelligence at Vets Now, said: “As a nation of pet lovers we all want to make sure our cherished companions join in with family Christmas celebrations, but at such a busy time of year for families, it’s easy to overlook the many hazards which can put them at risk of injury or illness.

“We are encouraging pet owners not to let treats turn into treatment

“There are well-known dangers – such as chocolate and raisins – that could put your pet at risk this Christmas, but many pet owners might not be aware of the more unexpected dangers that could see you spending your Christmas in the pet emergency room.”

The top ten Christmas hazards for pets lurking in our festive fancies and freshly decorated homes include:
  • Chocolate – Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine, a bit like caffeine, that’s severely poisonous to cats and dogs
  • Mince Pies and Christmas Puddings – all grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic to dogs; as are foods that contain them
  • Blue Cheese – it contains a substance called roquefortine C which dogs are extremely sensitive to
  • Tinsel – dogs eat tinsel like we eat spaghetti causing dangerous blockages in their stomachs
  • Macadamia nuts – often found in cookies, or food ingredients or just as a Christmas snack. These nuts cause severe illness in dogs.
  • Garlic, chives and onion are found in many foods such as gravy, stuffing and sausages. All Allium species are poisonous to dogs
  • Snow Globes – imported versions can contain antifreeze, as little as one tablespoon can be fatal for a cat
  • Candles – they can burn paws and the curious noses of our furry friends, and fall over when brushed against
  • Fairy Lights – cats are curious and will try to chew on anything, including fairy lights that can burn them and wires which can electrocute them
  • Alcohol – this can cause severe liver and brain damage. As little as a tablespoon can lead to problems for your cat or dog

Vets Now also warns that giving your pet too many treats can be dangerous.

Breaking