A developer has appealed to the Scottish Government over proposals to build almost 250 new homes in a North-east town.
Barratt North Scotland has urged the planning and environment appeals division to overturn the refusal by Aberdeenshire Council.
If given approval, 247 new homes would be built on Fordoun Road in Laurencekirk.
A neighbouring scheme for 310 houses was approved by the Kincardine and Mearns area committee in January 2016.
However, in November last year the same committee decided to refuse the Barratt application by a vote of 9-3.
Elected members cited concerns with the development’s compliance with the masterplan and local roads issues.
Members of Mearns Community Council claimed construction of the homes would create too much build up of traffic in the area.
Chris Ross, development director at Barratt North Scotland, said: “We were disappointed by the decision from the Kincardine and Mearns area committee last year, but remain hopeful for the appeal to deliver 247 new homes in the area.
“This project would offer a mix of properties including affordable housing for the local community.”
Planning documents lodged with the Scottish Government said 62 affordable units would be built.
These include a mixture of flats and houses.
Aberdeenshire Council now has until March 6 to give a response to the Scottish Government regarding the appeal.
A letter from the government to Halliday Fraser Munro, the agents for Barratt North Scotland, said: “Aberdeenshire Council, the planning authority that dealt with your original application, now has 21 days to give us a response to your appeal, along with any relevant documents or information.
“You will receive a copy of this response and then have 14 days to respond.”
A spokesman for Aberdeenshire Council said: “We note the appeal and will await the outcome.”