‘Very drunk’ man found injured in Aberdeen street admits shouting and swearing at hospital staff

Aberdeen Sheriff Court
Aberdeen Sheriff Court

A “very, very drunk man” found lying injured in a bush by police in Aberdeen admitted shouting and swearing in hospital.

Police officers stumbled across Anthony Knight in a plant on Chapel Street in Aberdeen on Sunday.

Officers took the 21-year-old to hospital but an hour or so later they were forced to intervene as the reveller kicked off in a medical bay.

Depute fiscal Felicity Merson told Aberdeen Sheriff Court: “It was around 5.20am when police found the accused lying in a bush on Chapel Street in Aberdeen.

“He was observed to have a cut lip and a bump to his head as a result of falling over. Police took him to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and he was left in the care of medical staff there.

“At 6.45am officers were at the A&E department on another matter when they heard the accused shout from one of the medical bays.”

Keep up to date with the latest news with The Evening Express newsletter

One officer went to assist and Knight jumped from his bed aggressively and “took up a fighting stance while shouting various obscenities”.

When the officer tried to hold him he “tensed up” and continued shouting and swearing and insisting they “leave him alone”.

Ms Merson added: “It was believed by police the accused was under the influence of a controlled drug given his behaviour, but the accused did not confirm this.”

Knight, of Gillespie Crescent, Aberdeen, pled guilty to shouting, swearing and behaving in an aggressive manner.

The offence happened while he was on bail.

Defence agent Tony Burgess said: “He’d been at a 21st birthday party. He remembers being very, very drunk. He remembers leaving his friends with the intention of going home. He remembers, vaguely, being assaulted on Chapel Street.

“He’s extremely embarrassed and ashamed he allowed those who were there to help him be subject to his behaviour.

“He remembers very, very little given the levels of alcohol that he had consumed.”

Sheriff Ian Wallace deferred sentence on Knight for a criminal justice social work report.

He will be sentenced next month.