A flood protection scheme for a North-east community could get the final go-ahead from councillors this week.
The Stonehaven Flood Protection Scheme was drawn up by Aberdeenshire Council in an effort to ensure the town did not fall victim to the River Carron bursting its banks again in future.
Homes were devastated in the town in 2009 and 2012 when the waterway burst its banks and residents have pushed for protective measures ever since.
The scheme seeks to cope with extreme flood events in the River Carron and Glaslaw Burn but does not address the risk from coastal flooding, overland flow or flooding from the River Cowie.
In 2013 councillors first agreed the requirements for a flood scheme be taken forward and two years later approved the promotion of a scheme – but it was met by 11 objections.
Four of these were later resolved but the scheme was referred to Scottish Ministers to consider.
Although Holyrood said it was satisfied with the designs being developed, they asked the council to call a hearing in the town.
The independent Reporter recommended the scheme be approved earlier this month, with the modifications previously agreed.
And now members of Aberdeenshire Council’s infrastructure services committee will meet on Thursday to consider the proposed scheme.
A report to go before members said: “Should committee agree the recommendation, the scheme will be advertised in local newspapers.
“The scheme will become operational six weeks after this notice date.
“Officers will then take steps to progress the tender process for the scheme. The award of tender would be the subject of a future report.
“It is envisaged that if the tender process runs smoothly that construction could commence in mid/late 2018.”
The scheme, which is expected to cost around £16.5 million, is designed to reduce flood risk for 372 homes, two public utility sites, a school and an emergency service site.
The project would bring new culverts, glass-topped flood walls about 6.5ft high and a new embankment along the water course.