A new two-storey McDonald’s drive-thru in a north-east town could be given the go-ahead next week.
Asda has submitted plans to develop part of its superstore site at the Portlethen Retail Park.
The Evening Express revealed last month that the supermarket had lined up McDonald’s to occupy the site.
Included in the plans would also be a new petrol station and click and collect lockers.
Members of the Kincardine and Mearns area committee are set to discuss the application next Tuesday. Aberdeenshire Council planning officers have recommended the proposals are granted via a delegated grant.
A McDonald’s spokeswoman said the plans would create jobs.
She said: “We can confirm that we have submitted a planning application for a new drive-thru restaurant in Portlethen and look forward to working with the council on our plans.
“If approved, we believe the new restaurant would bring investment to the local community as well as creating at least 65 new full and part-time jobs.”
The project would mean removing 115 parking spaces, leaving 489.
The area is currently served by a number of food establishments including Domino’s, Ashvale and Subway.
Concerns had been raised by the nearby Matalan that the drive-thru would lead to an increase in litter and antisocial behaviour.
Portlethen and District Community Council said pedestrian safety was an issue at the site with an increase in people visiting the restaurant.
Director of infrastructure services Stephen Archer said: “Given that this site is identified within Portlethen’s town centre it is considered that there is scope for this development to complement the existing offering and range within the town.
“It is considered to be in a location that would be accessible by other means of transport.”