News / Local In Pictures: Cheers to Aberdeen’s pubs by Scott Begbie 06/04/2017, 11:56 am The Prince of Wales, with its lengthy bar, remains a firm favourite in the city centre. Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter In this week’s Aberdonian we have taken a look back through our picture archive looking at historical images of Aberdeen’s oldest bars. Locals gathered to toast The Swan Bar on Loch Street as the bell was rung there for the last time. William Sutherland gets a refill from 15-year-old Norman Anderson at a Christmas party at the Shiprow Tavern. A working life behind the bar of one of Aberdeen’s oldest pubs came to an end in 1965 for Tom Summers, who took over the Torry Bar in Old Torry in 1936. He is pictured here with customers after he announced his decision to retire. The Welly Boot, which has since become the Tilted Wig and then The Wig, is in a prime Castle Street spot. Walter’s Bar in Great Northern Road, Aberdeen, taken in 1982. Alan Doran, owner of the Glenlivet Bar on Regent Quay. We can only wonder how this conversation went outside The Snug Bar on Virginia Street in 1965. Customers at the City Bar raise their glasses to the new price for a pint of beer. A view of the exterior of the Crown Bar in Woodside, Aberdeen, in 1979. The Star and Garter public house in Langstane Place, Aberdeen, in 1966. The Frigate has been a fixture in the city’s social scene for many years, as this picture from the 1960s shows. The bar of the Market Arms, Hadden Street, with oak panelling uncovered during renovation work. Customers enjoy a quiet drink in the corner of the new attractive lounge bar at The Charlotte. The owner of the St Clement’s Bar, William Johnston, pours a pint for a customer in 1965. The Prince of Wales, with its lengthy bar, remains a firm favourite in the city centre.