An eight-year-old boy has been charged over an incident involving a knife at an Aberdeen primary school.
It is understood the incident, which also involved a girl, took place during the lunch break.
The knife was a piece of cutlery from the school’s canteen, said the parent of a pupil who witnessed the alleged incident.
She said a pupil support assistant grabbed the knife, disarmed the boy and no one was injured.
The Evening Express cannot name the school for legal reasons.
Police today confirmed they were called after the incident on Friday lunchtime.
Police Scotland said the boy was charged with threatening and abusive behaviour and a report will be submitted to the Youth Justice Management Unit.
Sergeant Rob McLean said: “We work closely alongside our partners in education to ensure our schools and communities are safe places to learn.
“One such incident in our schools and communities is one too many and we have established a multi-agency response plan which includes a prompt assessment and follow-up to any incident, focusing on the support and welfare of all those involved.”
An Aberdeen City Council spokesman confirmed the incident happened, but would not say if the boy had been excluded from the school as a result.
He said: “We are aware of an incident at a primary school in Aberdeen on Friday, January 26, and we would like to reassure parents and the public this was dealt with in strict accordance with our policies and procedures aimed at ensuring the safety and wellbeing of our children. As this is a police matter, it would not be appropriate to comment further.”
A mum, whose child witnessed the alleged incident, said: “It’s shocking. If he was excluded, then he would just be sent to another school.
“It’s not too late for him to get the help he is crying out for.
“It’s normally a close school, very community committed, but this has been a hard situation to deal with.”
SNP education spokesman David Cameron said: “This incident is deeply concerning and support must be put in place for the children involved as well as their families. I have contacted the education department and it is my expectation that a full investigation must be undertaken.”