A fresh appeal has been made for the return of a priceless North-east treasure – 17 years after it disappeared.
Part of the historic Laird’s Loft was stolen by thieves who broke into Peathill Kirk, near Rosehearty, in 2001.
Those responsible ripped off an ornamental lion’s head from the 17th Century pew.
But now, it is hoped the missing piece can be returned to its rightful place.
The appeal comes from the Friends of Pitsligo Castle who are hoping to fully restore the loft, which was built in 1634 for the first Lord Pitsligo and bears the family’s coat of arms.
Anyone who may know where the lion’s head is being kept has been urged to send it back anonymously in the post. The 6in carving is widely regarded as one of the finest examples of Jacobean wood carving. Anybody with information is urged to contact the Friends of Pitsligo Castle on 01346 571419, or return the carving to 4 King Street, Rosehearty.