A five-hour lockdown at an Aberdeen high-rise was sparked due to an anthrax alert.
Police, fire and ambulance crews were all called to Virginia Court in a high-scale emergency at about 4.15pm on Monday.
Residents trying to get to their homes in Virginia Court were told they would not be allowed in to the building.
And the Evening Express can today reveal the initial call related to a substance which was thought to be contaminated with Anthrax – but was later found not to contain the potentially deadly substance.
Police treated the call as one with good intent.
What is Anthrax
Anthrax disease is a severe illness caused the bacteria Bacillus anthracis.
It can result in pneumonia, blood infection and death.
Anthrax spores can be found in nature or can be produced in a lab.
Officers were stood down more than five hours after being called out.
Inspector Rob Sturton said: “At no stage was there any threat to the wider public and police units were in attendance alongside other emergency services as part of protocol.
“There are no suspicious circumstances and officers had left the scene by around 9.30pm.
“I would like to thank members of the public for their patience while the incident was dealt with.”
A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We received a call to attend an incident at 4.15pm yesterday.
“Numerous resources attended. Due to the nature of the incident our special operation response team were also in attendance.”
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “It was a possible hazardous material incident.
“We had two appliances from Central.
“We stood by awaiting instruction from Police Scotland who were in charge of the incident.
“Crews were later stood down.”