Aberdeen City Council is expected to continue with a policy to make all taxis wheelchair accessible by June next year.
The new policy was initially to be introduced by June 6 this year but this was delayed, following a decision by councillors late last year.
Now, they are being urged to approve proposals to continue with the policy for all taxis to be wheelchair accessible vehicles by June 2019.
A report, by city council solicitor Sandy Munro, said a public consultation into the move received 296 responses from the trade and members of the public.
A total of 247 representations preferred some form of mixed fleet with just 49 submitted in favour of all vehicles being wheelchair accessible.
However, the report said: “It seems clear from the consultation responses that there is a preference in general for a mixed fleet.
“However, it is important to note that a large number gave no evidence or reasoning for such a preference and very few addressed the committee’s responsibility to comply with the duty.”
Mr Munro said there was also “no real consensus” on an appropriate level of split in a mixed policy and “scant evidence” to support any particular figure.
The decision to change has caused anger in the past, with cabbies arguing they would be forced to spend huge amounts of money on upgrading vehicles.
A common argument used against the implementation of a fully accessible fleet is that some elderly or non-wheelchair-using disabled people find them difficult to enter and prefer a saloon car for that reason.
In Mr Munro’s report, councillors are told the move could have “several legal implications”,with a 100% accessible fleet being “far less likely” to be open to legal challenge than a mixed fleet.
He said: “There would appear to be very little robust evidence to support a departure from the current policy.
“Such robust evidence would be required to defend any change to policy in the event of legal challenge.”
Members of the local authority’s licensing committee will make a decision when they meet on Tuesday.