MORE than 80 oil workers had to be evacuated from an offshore construction vessel today after it caught fire.
Fire crews were called out at 2.52am after the Fugro Symphony caught fire while it was docked at Peterhead Harbour.
A total of 39 firefighters on five appliances, including two from Peterhead, one from Maud and two from Ellon, tackled the blaze.
Crews had to use a foam unit, which supplies extra foam as well as extra breathing apparatus.
It was thought the fire was caused by an electrical fault within vessel.
Around 84 workers had to be evacuated and were today put up at Peterhead’s Fisherman’s Mission Centre in the town’s Union Street for shelter.
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We were called to a fire on the support vessel today.
“A total of 84 people had to be evacuated from the vessel as a result of the inci dent.
“They were then put into Peterhead’s Fisherman Mission Centre following the incident.
“We are not investigating the incident.”
A Police Scotland spokesman said a “malfunction” within the vessel caused the fire.
He said: “We were called out after the fire had went out.
“Our crews were never on the boat but there appears to be nothing suspicious.
“It also appears to be a malfunction on the vessel.”
For the latest news and analysis from the offshore industry visit www.energyvoice.com