18 firefighters battle blaze at North-east cottage for two-and-a-half hours

Eighteen firefighters were called out to battle a blaze at a North-east house.

Four fire appliances attended the incident at Westerton Cottages in Inverugie, outside Peterhead, after receiving the call at 4.30pm yesterday.

Appliances from Peterhead, Fraserburgh and Dyce went to the scene, and were at the property for some time, with the fire brought under control after two-and-a-half hours.

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel, a thermal imaging camera, small tools and a small extension ladder.”

Crews cut into the loft of the property before working on the flat roof to remove slates in order to check for and dampen any hotspots.

The fire was put out just after 7pm last night. No one is believed to have been injured in the incident.

Police also attended the incident.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “We received the call at 4.30pm.

“The fire was mainly contained to the second floor and the main building was largely undamaged.

“Fire services will undertake a forensic assessment but it is not thought to be suspicious.” Councillor Anne Allan, who represents the Peterhead North and Rattray ward, said: “This kind of incident, fires in our area, thankfully don’t happen often.

“I’m shocked to hear it’s happened and I’m glad to hear nobody has been injured.

“My thoughts are with any people who may live there.”

Meanwhile, in a separate incident firefighters were also called to the scene of a small kitchen fire in Aberdeen.

Two crews were sent to the property on Park Place near the city centre on Saturday around 4.40pm.

In total, nine firefighters attended the blaze which the homeowner had managed to put out.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “We had two appliances, one from North Anderson Drive and the other from Central in attendance at the small kitchen fire on Park Place.

“The fire was extinguished by the occupant before our arrival.”

She added: “The stop message came in at 4.52pm and we were at the property until 5.05pm providing ventilation.”